Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My New Vacuum


For 12 years our faithful Hoover upright has cleaned our floors. It was one of our first purchases as newlyweds. You know that big shopping trip you take after the honeymoon, you've returned the unwanted gifts (have people not heard of registries?) and now you get to spend the wedding money.

Since moving into our new house 4 years ago (not so new anymore) I've wanted a new vacuum. Our floors are a mixture of hardwood and carpeting so a canister was desired, but the cost of a new one kept me content with our old faithful Hoover. Until that fateful morning.

I was sweeping and used my hip to move the sweeper forward when the bag compartment broke off the hose. (Those birthin' hips don't know when to quit.)

It is rather counter-productive to have half the dirt you just swept up blowing back into the air. Maybe duct tape would have kept it together, but I've been wanting a new vacuum for 4 years.

A check on Consumer Reports took me to Sears and now I have a new favorite appliance. (You know when you reach a certain age when you are excited about floor care appliances, remember my posting on the steam mop?)

The sweeper is wonderful. It practically moves by itself while sweeping the carpets. With a flick of the switch I'm sweeping the hardwood floors, it comes with a nifty pet hair/upholstery/stair cleaning tool, and is quieter then the old one.

Yes, as sad as it may sound, my new vacuum works for me very nicely. For more Works For Me ideas head to Rocks in My Dryer.

***Edited to add the Vacuum name, yeah that would have been helpful to add in the beginning. I tried posting a picture, apparently Sears is a little stingy with their pictures and I couldn't get it to copy over. Sorry, I digress. The vacuum name: Kenmore Canister Vacuum, Blue. Progressive is the name on the vacuum. It has two different Mfr. Model #'s, 27514 and 27515. Consumer Reports tested one of them. The only difference is that one's power cord is 2 ft. longer then the other. And, right now on the Sear's website one is $50 cheaper then the other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what vacuum did you buy? I'm in the market for a new one and like you I have carpet and wood laminate.