Thursday, November 20, 2008

What About A 5 Gallon Paint Bucket Instead?

Our church nursery needs a new diaper pail. Easy enough, I'll pop over to Walmart and pick one up ... or not.

OK, maybe I'm just too picky. I don't mean to be (OK, any family members reading this can stop laughing now.) I just want a simple diaper pail; no extra doodads, accessories, and keeps the odor in. I'm beginning to think a 5 gallon paint bucket may be the only way to go. And yes, diaper pails come with extra doodads and accessories, who knew.

We live in a small town we, therefore, have smaller big box discount stores. Walmart, the huge corporation of low prices, obviously thinks this small town (which has two Walmarts, go figure) needs only one option when it comes to diaper pails. Enter the Diaper Genie.

Before arriving at the store I crossed the Diaper Genie off the list. I have yet to figure out all that pushing and twisting just to put the diaper in the pail. Plus, it requires special bags and seriously, who wants to spend money on extra bags. Well, they redesigned the Genie so there is no more pushing and twisting, just open and drop. But, it still requires special bags.

I did mention this is for the church nursery right. Meaning, easy use and no extra accessories and doodads.

Off to Target, they offer three choices. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Target?) The Diaper Genie, nope, a second option, out of stock (hmm, wonder if that is the one I want) and a third pail that comes with a fan which runs on batteries and a charcoal filter. All this for $40. Did I mention this is for the church nursery, so no doodads and accessories. Why, you may ask. Well, at some point the batteries will die and no one will replace them, or the fan will break, and then the charcoal filter will need replacing (see the one about the batteries.) Leaving us with a $40 plastic bucket ... and we are back to the 5 gallon paint bucket idea.

Kmart, how did I forget Kmart? Does anyone shop at Kmart anymore? Obviously, yes since one is still open in our town. And again, nada. They did have a Cosco version with a pedal to open the lid, to just a plastic pail.

I know, I know. Diaper pails are nothing more then glorified plastic buckets, but if it says diaper pail I would like it to have some smell stopping barrier between the diaper and the lid (and the lid does not count.) This version only cost $18, but I'm thinking a 5 gallon paint bucket will cost less and do the exact same job, except for the foot pedal.

Oh well. I'll return to Target sometime between now and next Wednesday to see the out-of-stock pail is back on the shelves. If not I'll be making some stops on the way to my parents for Thanksgiving. They also live in a small town but for whatever reason they have more shopping options, and larger Targets and Walmarts which offer a few more choices.

I'm really hoping Target comes through for me, I LOVE Target.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word you crack me up. If you go for the 5 gallon bucket idea we have plenty of those at our house and J. just got out of diapers so you can have his old diaper pail (not sure what Dex did with it, but I can bet he didn't throw it out). Have a good one!
Jana