Friday, November 21, 2008

Company Girl Coffee

Wow! I can't believe it is finally Friday. This was one of those weeks that dragged on; when you reach Wednesday it feels like Friday and you're not sure how you will make it too the end of the week. It probably felt that way since next week is a holiday week and I'm like a kid, can't wait for the holidays. And, the fact my mother will be cooking for us for several days, yeah Mom!

Did you clean your table this week? That was one of our Small Things this week. Rachel Anne gave us a small thing to kick off our week, I'm all for a slow Monday.

My table is a little ratty looking. With 3 small children it has taken it's fair share of abuse. The chairs don't match, with 3 small children a chair here and there is bound to become broken. The table is a drop leaf. On one end the leaf is down, where the kids like to kick it. The other leaf is up, and constantly is being kicked down, usually with a plate of food or cup of water on it.

I would really like a new table. Mission style, dark wood, contemporary styled seats, and maybe, if I'm feeling dangerous, cloth covered seats. But, as much as I want a new table I love our old table because my Grandmother "lent" it to Hubby and me when we were first married.

When I went to her house to see the table she gave me a lecture on table care. I had to use a table pad, underneath the table cloth, to protect it from hot, cold, and small children. There was probably a talk on keeping it oiled, or something or other. As you can read I followed that piece of advice. Yes, this was the same Grandmother who used to clean her house before and after the cleaning lady.

Well, a never used a table pad. The table did have a table cloth on it, until 3 small children came along. (Think of that magic trick where the magician pulls the table cloth away from the table, while fully set, except substitute a 2 year-old for the magician.)

The table has been through a lot in it's life time. Over time it became the loan-out table within our family. My cousin had it at for awhile (and also refinished, unknown by Grandma.) It eventually ended up at our apartment, then our first house, and it is still with us. Unfortunately, Grandma is no longer with us but her table is, and all that cleaning helps keep her memory alive. And, as I'm writing this I'm thinking I may feel slightly sad to see our table go when we get around to replacing it.

Until then, I keep scrubbing cleaning the table. Wiping it down after each meal. Wiping it down after each coloring session, and yes marker does eventually come off. And every now and then wiping it from top to bottom, and underneath ... how does apple sauce get under the table?

11 comments:

Ridenour Family said...

What a sweet post! I can't wait to "off" our table either, but I have no sentimental ties to it, as you do! But what sweet sentiments they are. I remember my grandma often as well, when I use little things that were hers. Is there any way that you could repurpose it after you are finished with it? I saw a blog the other day where a woman made her old table into a child's table. It's at charmingthebirdsfromthetrees.blogspot.com Just a thought?!
Have a wonderful weekend, and where DOES that applesauce come from?

~Tricia
ridenourhome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your table sounds perfect for our house. Funny what you said about the tablecloth. hehe My cousin actually had to put her dining table set away because her son kept pushing all the chairs over, and she got tired of picking them up. Hope you have fantastic weekend!

Tommie Jo said...

Awww...I don't have little children any more but with two boys, I remember the abuse they can dish out on their surroundings. My girl was a bit more sedate. Now I have a grandson but (heehee) I can send him home if he gets funky!
All that aside, treasure the moments because they DO go by too fast (you'll see).

Anonymous said...

Is it really Friday? This was one of those weeks where I never knew what day it was: Monday felt like Tuesday, Wednesday like Friday, and who know what today feels like!

I have a few mixing bowls that are my favorite because they were my grandmother's. Cherish your table - and the memories of your grandmother.

Stop by for my collapsible market tote giveaway. It won't keep your table clean, but it will be great for those quick trips to the grocery store.

Kate said...

ha, loved this post. we were seriously naive about table purchasing when we bought our table. It doesn't have that special something something coating on the top to protect it from three-year-old little monkeys, so it has definitely seen better days.

mholgate said...

My dining room table is multi-purpose also. Meals, coloring, projects, homework. More meals, cards and games, and anything else that 5 kids can think of! I did have a hard time getting the glitter glue off of it after Halloween though!

Blessings,
Melissa

secondofwett said...

We finally got a new table for our household.....we needed a real long one...before we were able to buy it my hubby got a long piece of plywood and put those fold up legs on it that you get at the hardware store. With a table pad and tablecloth..well, it worked pretty good!

Rebecca said...

I'm table challenged as well. After 4 kids it's very "distressed" now. Not in a shabby chic kind of way either LOL. My latest addition, our puppy sparky has made his contribution by teething on the legs of all my chairs... so I'm looking forward to the day I can replace it with something else too!

Rachel Anne said...

Our table has seen this same abuse. It's rampant! The deep, deep scratches in the chair seats from little girls' shoe buckles and dent in the top from my boy banging on it. I remember one incident with a screw driver....

Well, it's all covered up with a tablecloth, maybe someday it will get refinished or "repurposed."

I'll bet your grandmother would be pleased to know that the table reminds you of her, regardless having the mat under the tablecloth or not. :)

Forgetfulone said...

Great post. My "babies" are 12 now, and I finally got a dining room table I'm not embarrassed of just a few months ago. Time goes quickly, though.

mholgate said...

No kidding? It's your birthday today? Happy Birthday! Today is my son's 2nd birthday. :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great day!

Melissa