Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another Mom's Group Drop-Out

Seven years ago I was a new mom, staying home, desperate to get out of the house, and find other moms to meet. I joined MOPS, MOMS, a nursing mother's group, story-time at the library, ... you name it, I joined it.

These days, 7 years and 3 kids later, I'm crossing activities off my calendar just so I can stay home.

Today I ran into the co-director of the the local MOMS group I attended for several years. She was shocked to hear I wasn't returning, and wondered if everything was OK. I laughed. I remembered those early years, and having the same reaction when an "older" mom told me she wasn't returning to the group. They had older kids, commitments were changing, and they were entering a new phase in their life.

I'm another mom's group drop-out.

Entering a new phase in my life where I have the time (and energy) to volunteer at the school, join committees, help at the church, .... Life is made up of multiple phases, and I'm excited to see where this phase leads.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

oh my goodness. that day seems so far away right now, with a 2.5, 1.5 and one still cooking. i can imagine the joy in moving on to that next stage, and though exhausted on a regular basis, i am enjoying this one we're in now. thanks for sharing!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

So funny to read this. I find myself on the edge of that with an almost 6 year old now. i still have the little guy (1) but don't find that "need" for me the way I used to....

Jolanthe said...

I'm with you! :) Course now we have to fit in those trips to the museum too...