Thursday, September 25, 2008

Because You Always Wanted To Know

Sorry, I'm being lazy. It is another crazy week for our little family, and one would think that means great blogging material, but oh no. A crazy week usually means my brain shuts down, ergo ... no room for creativity.

Instead I leave you with this interesting little tid bit. (Sorry, I was a history major and love these little bits of trivial pieces of information. Now, I just need to move into this century and work on my trivial knowledge of pop culture.)

Source: U.S. News & World Report, Sept29-Oct6 issue.
Under their "Washington Whispers" column is this little historical tidbit, titled "The First Christmas Tree." Benjamin Harrison, President from 1889-1893, is known to have displayed the first Christmas tree in the White House and give out staff gifts (guess it's not as common now a days), "Married men received turkeys and single men fine gloves. The assumption was that families ate Christmas dinner at home, while singles had to dress up to go out."

No comments: