Thursday, September 22, 2011

First World Problems - My Inbox

Recently, I came off of a 3 year stint as our church's Primary Sunday School Superintendent.  Totally volunteer, and totally stuffed with emails.  Emails finding teachers, organizing schedules, ordering materials, communicating with parents, writing newsletters, communicating with my fellow superintendent, and a few more emails begging people to teach. 

As the months, and weeks ticked towards my eventual freedom I envisioned a lighter email in-box.  Thinking of deleting all these SS related emails was causing me to giggle a bit more then one should giggle.  I was ready to eradicate my in-box, and start anew with a lighter in-box, where there existed no worries of deleting someone's substitute request, or the newsletter deadline.  

Come September I did delete EVERYTHING.  However, my dreams of a small in-box were not coming true. 

My in-box was now being filled with car-pool requests, church meetings, soccer schedules, and school newsletters. 

And, it keeps growing.  I've tried to organize folders, but that doesn't always work.  I'm still deleting to my heart's content, but I can't delete everything. 

And, so my initial joy is ending, with a thud.  My in-box is back, and as cluttered and pseudo-organized as before.  It is driving me crazy.  I should just accept it, and live with it.  But, I can't.  Instead,  I shall dream of a day that I'm not scrolling down, message after message, to figure out who is picking up whom, after the next soccer practice.

No comments: