Friday, June 24, 2011

And The Winner Is ...

We are two weeks into summer vacation.  You can tell because I haven't been blogging as much.  Oh no, I have plenty of material, you should see some of my Facebook status', however I haven't had time to sit at the computer and write.  In the evening, after the kids go to bed, I'm usually falling flat on my face.  Problem is, it is usually on the couch, I can't make it to my bedroom.

Before school ended I began writing two little posts about all the end of school activities, and the kids adjusting to a summer vacation schedule.  A schedule, much to their dismay, that does not allow them to sit in front of the TV/DSi/Computer/ITouch playing Angry Birds all day long. 

But that is for another post.

Today's topic is the Annual School Awards Assembly.

Thoughts, feelings, comments, opinions?

Well, here is mine:  Oy Vey!

I've heard the reports,read the books, that we have become a society that praises our children too much.  Our children have become a generation expecting a prize and applause for getting out of bed in the morning and changing their clothes. 

Actually, for my boys that is applause worthy.  If they change their underwear I put their name on a plaque.

:::ahem:::

Sorry, I digress.

The school awards assembly is a case in point. 

Yes, there are the "Straight A" awards and "Perfect Attendance" certificate.  Those are accomplishments worthy to be praised.  Thought, the perfect attendance award did create some snickering.  You heard it too, you may have even said it, "AKA: I was sick but my mom still sent me to school award."

Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, one of my children did receive the perfect attendance award.  No, I never sent him to school sick, unless you call a cold being sick.  I call it putting on your big boy pants, have a dose of cold medicine, don't forget your pack of tissues, and learn how to function in the real world.

We also have the "All B's Gets You A Certificate As Well" and the "Missed A Couple Days, Good Enough, Have a Certificate" award. 

It may be time to raise the bar.

Is a 2 hour awards ceremony ... FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL really necessary?  Do we need to recognize EVERYONE who come to school and completed their work?  You are supposed to go to school, it is the law.  You don't receive a certificate for completing what is expected of you. 

Oh, to top of the fun and festivities, there were awards for the best lunchroom behavior.

:::crickets:::

Yes, they gave awards to students for behaving themselves in the lunchroom. 

Unfortunately, there was no recognition given to the 7+ outstanding teachers and assistants we lost at the end of the school year. 

But, we awarded good lunchroom behavior. 

No comments: