Monday, June 20, 2011

Spring Reading Thing Wrap Up


This Years Spring Reading Thing is coming to an end, but my reading won't be.  While I was diligently reading away my list, and modifying to add new books, I was busy stocking up my summer list (thanks to Paperback Swap), and adding some books to my Spring Thing, hence the modification. 

I did finish Brad Metzler's Inner Circle.  Final review, "Ehh".  I would have felt better about the book had I not paid full price for it.  Though the premise was intriguing, which is what drew me to purchase the book, the story itself was rather far fetched.  Maybe I was looking for more intrigue and secrets, instead of youthful indiscretions and regrets. 

The Daughter's Walk, by Jane Kirkpatrick, is a MUST READ.  When I finished it I passed it on to my mother-in-law; who, unknown to me, was looking for it, but didn't realize it hadn't been released yet.  SCORE!  I fully recommend this book.

Next came The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book.  The writing, the details, the characters, everything about this book makes it a classic.  Not sure what I'm waiting for, but at some point I am watching the movie, again.

The Buccaneers, also by Edith Wharton, came next.  So much of this book I had forgotten, and also I enjoyed it, though not as much as The Age of Innocence.  Presently, thanks to Netflix, I am watching the 1995 BBC production of the former.

Before continuing with my preassigned list I continued with a series started earlier in the year, the adventures of Mrs. Pollifax, homemaker, widow, grandmother, turned CIA spy.  The series, written by Dorothy Gilman, continues with The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax and The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax.  The three I've read have proven to be a fun and quick read.  I can't help by see my own grandmother in the Mrs. Pollifax role.  

Next came E.M. Forster's Room With a View.  However, I had to put it down and move on.  There is something about E.M. Forster's writing that requires one uninterrupted time to read, long stretches of uninterrupted time, otherwise it is hard to get into the story.  Maybe, I will take this along on vacation; though, I'm not sure if a vacation with children will give me the time needed, but I can only hope.  I also enjoy his writing, but need to time to absorb it.

The other problem with continuing with my old list is that a new list was forming on by night stand, and I couldn't wait.  I just finished Mr. Darcy's Daughters, by Elizabeth Aston.  Aston picks up from Pride and Prejudice 20 years after Mr. Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet marry.  Now Darcy has 5 daughters, who are let loose on London society without their imposing father.  Overall, it is a good read, though you will find many similarities to the mishaps and happenings in Pride and Prejudice

And there, is where my Spring Reading Thing comes to an end.  I'm continuing the next book in Aston's series, titled The Exploits and Adventures of Miss Alethea DarcyThe Help, by Kathryn Stockett, is sitting on my pile, along with the newest book by Connie Schultz, and a book about the creation of Nancy Drew, our favorite female sleuth.  Sorry, I don't have the title at the moment.  It is a book I picked up at a local book sale.  It looked interesting, but I can't remember the title.  It is now sitting on my night stand, where I haven't looked at it since purchasing the book, and I'm downstairs in the office typing.  If you are interested in the title leave a comment, or simply email me, I will send it to you.

And, there ends the list.  Some books were read, some were added, and some were set aside for another time.  Maybe another cruise in a year or so, if I'm so lucky. 

Katrina, thank you for another fun, and encouraging, reading challenge.  I'm looking forward to the Fall Into Reading challenge.  I have no idea what will be on my list, but it will be fun.

4 comments:

Susanne said...

The Daughter's Walk is on my want to read list. I love Jane Kirkpatrick when I'm in the mood for a historical fiction. The Help is excellent. I can see I've got to add some of your reads to my list for maybe the fall!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I read and LOVED The Help this Spring, I think you will love it, too. Your list has lots of books I'm going to want to check out soon. I also read what I'm assuming is the same book about the making of Nancy Drew and I have to admit, it's not what I hoped it would be - I liked her other book, Eating for Beginners though a lot (entirely different topic).

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

The Help is really, really good. I think you'll love it. I'm still curious about the Brad M. book, but I'll try to pick it up at less than full price. Thanks for being part of SRT '11. Enjoy your summer reading!

Trish said...

What a great list! I am a big fan of Edith Wharton and have also really enjoyed Aston's books. Some of your others sound like fun as well.