Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Belated Greeting

Happy Valentine's Day

Yes, I know, I'm a little late with the greeting.  Welcome to my week. 

Before Hubby and I married, I was not one for putting too much of a to do into Valentine's Day.  We had a long distant relationship, so it isn't like we could meet up and celebrate with a romantic dinner.  Usually it was a romantic phone call between studying. 

Imagine Hubby's confusion, our first Valentine's Day as a married couple, when we went out for dinner that night, and I got upset over his lack of enthusiasm and romantic gestures.  Poor guy, he had it rough for awhile.

I forget how, or if, we celebrated those following years.  However, I do remember the first year we made it a family affair. 

JT was 19 months old.  ED was 1 month old.  I wanted out of the house, and a meal I didn't have to prepare.  We headed to a neighborhood pizza joint (Peace of Pizza, I miss you) and celebrated Valentine's Day as a family.  Since then, it has become one of our family traditions. 

One year, I remember us all being sick with some form of a cold/cough/congested unpleasantness.  We must have looked like a family of zombies, without the blood and gore, sitting at the table with expressions of anything but love and happiness.  That evening ended with a quick trip to the pharmacy for drugs, and lots of them. 

This year we celebrated in a disjointed way.  Last week we went out for dinner, celebrating good report card and Valentine's Day.  A two-in-one, this girl on a budget loves it.  

Oh, and romantic dinners and presents between Hubby and myself?  We have never been ones for present giving.  Part of that is because we usually find ourselves buying something big each year, and calling it our Christmas/Birthday/Valentine's/Anniversary gift.  This year, a cruise.  As far as dinner out, Hubby and I are  fortunate enough to go out at least once a month, so we don't feel the need to make the most out of Valentine's Day. 

Maybe, even after that first year of marriage, I don't find it necessary to fully celebrate Valentine's Day.  I much rather celebrate it as a family, spoil my kids a little, and enjoy the chocolate they bring home from their classroom parties. 

How do you celebrate?

No comments: