Friday, October 8, 2010

Theological Questions, According to the Kids




Good morning Company Girls. The past few weeks have been a little crazy; with cleaning, activities, guests, and baking; all this means, is that what I'm posting today is a follow-up from a post three weeks ago.

So, three Fridays ago, I asked about your church story. How did you grow up, and where are you now? What wonderful replies. The common theme was non-denominational. Though our church histories all differed, that doesn't matter. The bottom line is that there is a common belief; God, Christ, and the Bible. Or, as Lea, from Cici's Corner, commented "But, there's only one God and that's where 'the rubber meets the road' as my Dad would say."

That Friday night, after posting the question, JT (our 9-year-old) asked what make churches different? OK, I'm no theologian, but I am a historian, which tends to drive my kids crazy, because I give WAY to much information when trying to answer such questions.

With a question like this, where do you start? Early Church? Roman Orthodoxy? Reformation? Luther? Calvin? Menno Simons? Counter-Reformation? Great Awakening?

Like I said WAY TO MUCH information.

So, let us keep it simple: Yes, churches are different in service style, and in some beliefs. However, Christian churches have one basic belief, that Jesus Christ died on the cross, for our sins. From there, we had a discussion on how our church, a Mennonite Church, differs in other beliefs.

Where do they come up with these questions? When they start asking deep theological questions, I figure we are doing something right. But seriously! I'm almost wishing they would ask "the question", I have a script for that.

Well Company Girls, as we all know, life goes on, and I hear the washing machine winding down. Time to tend to the laundry. Stay as long as you like, feel free to poke around. When you are done, head back over to Home Sanctuary, for more coffee with the Company Girls.

5 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

Why can't our kids just ask the easy questions? I think you are right, when they are asking the tough questions, you must be doing something right! Have a great weekend!

CindyC said...

Isn't it a great comfort to know that Jesus said not to worry about what you will say, because the Holy Spirit will give you the words? Of course, he was talking about persecution and trials, but I'm 100% sure he also meant, 'When your kids ask you wild and deep WHY questions' too!

I'm a few years behind you in the parenting thing, but I'm sure I will have my share of stories of fumbling for answers to life's theological and philosophical questions from kids in several more years.

Rachel Anne said...

I'm amazed at kids' capacity for thinking deep thoughts, and for understanding spiritual things. We really don't give them enough credit for what they can take in! Such great thoughts! I would love to study the history of the church, although there are some parts that I'm not real proud of (shudder, Medieval times....)

Hope you have a great week!

ps - "nondenominational" here, although I think we miss out on some of the liturgy/traditions of other churches....that's just me :)

Zoanna said...

I remember when my boy was 5, he started a conversation with me:

Him: Mom, is there pride in heaven?
Me: No, honey, it's a sin and sin can't be in heaven.
Him: Well, why did Satan get kicked out of heaven?
Me; Because He wanted to be God, and that was pride.
Him: Well, then, pride WAS in heaven--in Satan--and then got kicked out.

ME: Oy.


----
Personally I'm Jewish and Mennonite by ancestry, Baptist and Methodist by upbringing, Catholic by scholarship (2 years) , Reformed Charismatic by choice.

Veronica said...

Kids do ask hard questions.

I had a conversation with my 6 year old daughter the other night while tucking her into bed. We had just said prayers and I was singing a Christian song that has the theme of the rapture and how you don't have to be left behind. It's the only song they want me to sing to them before bed and I've been doing it for almost 4 years now, wow! Anyway, she interrupts my beautiful singing to say, "I don't want to be left behind." I say, "Well you believe that Jesus died on the cross for you right? You don't have to worry about being left behind then." She says, "Yes, I know that mom. I'm not talking about that. I just don't want hot lava to come and kill me. Don't leave me behind if that happens." Hm.. "Well Katie, there are no volcanoes here so you don't have to worry." She nods in acceptance and I finish the song. "Good night. Love you." hugs and kisses. Walk out the door with her older sister trying to stifle a giggle.

What was that!?