Sunday, March 7, 2010

Maybe These Shoes Were Not Made for Walking

They are cute, and comfortable, at least they were comfortable until Hubby and I trekked all over D.C. in them.

Um, I mean I wore the shoes, Hubby wore his sneakers. And, we walked around D.C.

And, by the end of the day my feet were done. They were done with the shoes, they were done with the walking. By the end of the day my feet were ready to divorce my socks.

As I type this my feet are screaming many thanks as they snuggle in my fuzzy slippers.

Enough about my hurting feet.

So, Hubby and I went away for the weekend, sans kids. We enjoyed sleeping in, eating out ... without having to cut up any one's food, though someone almost sat in my lap ... and it wasn't Hubby. Shopping in stores with lots of breakable items, and I didn't worry that my "mom" bag knocking down anything ... because I was carrying my "date" bag. We also got to play tourist and see whatever site we wanted to see without kids whining they were bored, and walk wherever we wanted to walk without kids whining that they were tired ... then again maybe my feet would have appreciated their presence in that aspect.

We picked a weekend, the same way any parent plans a weekend away ... we planned around the many other activities happening. Hubby had hotel points, allowing us a free night at a hotel. We splurged for a second night. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a theater show we were interested in ... or wanted to spend the money on to see ... um, $70 per ticket? Does that come with intermission concessions? However, we did purchase tickets to see the Terra Cotta Warriors at the National Geographic Museum.

I did not take the camera :::gasp:::

"What will we take pictures of?" We asked each other. We take the camera to take pictures of the kids, we weren't taking the kids. We aren't those people who ask other people to take our picture, so we wouldn't be having our pictures taken.

What I forgot is that D.C. is a beautiful city, with spectacular views. I was reminded of this fact as we stood at the Arlington Cemetery looking across the Potomac and seeing the Jefferson Memorial and the Washington Monument. I wanted my camera.

And, then there were the teenagers who were walking around without coats, in short sleeves, I wanted to take a picture of them and comment on them being young and thinking they were invincible to the cold. And knowing, that at least the one girl was cursing herself for her lack of layers.

The weekend was good, and relaxing, and a reminder that we must have more of them. The kids stayed with Grandma and Grandpa, and as always had a blast.

Though it will not include Hubby I'm looking forward to my next weekend away, the Girls Weekend. I'm also thinking a working weekend is needed, to work on some of those items on my to-do list. For now, I will just hope that this R&R weekend has cleared my mind enough to work on it during the week.

No comments: