Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe

Our family loves this recipe. It was given to me by my good friend Gina. You want a delicious recipe, you call Gina. You need your house redecorated, you call Gina. You need a good laugh, to vent, some encouragement, you call Gina. She is ray of sunshine who loves the Lord, loves her family and her friends.

Sorry, I digress. When I start talking about Gina it all comes gushing out.

Anywho, the other day I made this for some friends, and now they are asking for the recipe. Since I am not above shameless promotion for my blog I'm sending it to them via this post. (Ladies, you can thank me later.) Also, with it being close to Christmas, you may be looking for an awesome coffee cake recipe. Look no further.




Batter:
1/2 C Margarine (I use butter)
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 C Sour Cream (I've used regular, I've used fat free, it turns out fine either way)
2 C Flour (I put in 1 C white and 1 C fresh ground wheat, because I like to keep it semi-healthy)
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla

Topping:
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C White Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon

  1. Cream Margarine (or butter) and Sugar. Add Eggs, beating well.
  2. Combine dry and wet ingredients, alternating with the Sour Cream. Ending with the Flour and Vanilla. (I may or may not follow this step to the T.)
  3. Spread half the batter in a 12x8 pan (I use a 9x9 because I like my coffee cake thick, this may require a longer baking time.) Cover with 1/2 the topping mix (I usually dump it all in one go.) Spread remaining batter and sprinkle on top the remaining topping mix.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (maybe longer if you use a smaller pan.)

Enjoy!

***No, there is no picture of the actual coffee cake. By the time I thought of taking a picture the coffee cake was half gone, so I thought of taking a picture of the empty, crumb scattered 9x9 pan. The moment the pan was empty I set it in the sink to soak, scrapping off all the crumbs. Sometimes I'm a tad bit too organized and clean for my own good. Plan C: A picture of a clean 9x9 pan, with the recipe and several ingredient items.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true about Gina. Will have to try that recipe soon!
Jana