Monday, November 16, 2009

Memo Monday

Dear Teacher of my Children,

First, let me say I appreciate all you do, and accomplish, in the classroom and with my children. Teaching can be underrated, under-payed, and overworked. Understand, I am the last person who would criticize you or the job you accomplish.

However, I do have one, teeny, tiny, small request: Please, do not send the bugs home.

Yes, I understand that they were learning about meal worms and building habitats.

Yes, I realize I have boys and should be far past this point, and fully accept bugs into my house. That is what boys do. However, I'm not past that point. Enough bugs enter our house without the help of my children, I don't need any brought in, from school, in an icing tub, with water bottle window cut out of the side.

Thought I enjoy seeing what my children have learned and projects they have completed, I don't need every single one sent to my houses, especially those involving things that crawl.

In all reality the meal worms will not survive their cocoon period to become beetles, which I am eternally grateful. And, as I sit here and type this I realize I could throw away the well designed and assembled habitat and the kids will not realize it is gone for another month. (At which point I tell them that, yes indeed the meal worms did not survive. It is true, I am not above lying to my children.)

Oh, I will throw it away, but please be aware that such projects are not welcome at my house. They can bring home their habitats, no problem, I just don't want living things accompanying them. That's all.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely Yours,

One Parent Who Does Not Like Bugs

No comments: