Friday, August 7, 2009

Company Girl Coffee


Welcome. Come in, sit down. Coffee or tea? Sorry I only have 15 minutes to chat, I'm taking today's Small Things to an extreme. On the bright side I'm accomplishing A LOT. So far I've folded this weeks laundry in 15 minutes. Reorganized the basement after our guests this week, and had time to start sweeping the mulch and sand tracked through our house ... kids, playing outside. All a part of summer.

Yes, it is quiet here at our house. The boys left yesterday for Grandpa Camp. Two glorious (for the boys), and quiet (for me) days. We pick them up tonight. Wonder who will be more worn out, the boys or my Dad.

The summer is winding down with a flurry of activity. Last week we were in Philly, visiting as many museums that three children would allow us to visit; and friends, some we hadn't seen since moving away 5 years ago. Yes, it has been 5 years since we moved to the valley. Where has the time gone?

Monday was spent finishing laundry, getting ready for our guests, and calling the garage door repair guy. Let me just say it involved a boy with a love for buttons and the open tail gate of my minivan. It ended with an 150 dollar bill, and an object lesson about God's love. He always loves us, but he feels frustration when we disobey. And though he forgives us for all our sins, sometimes the repercussions of those sins last with us for awhile.

My brother and his family came down Tuesday, and stayed till Thursday. The cousins had a great time; visiting the park, enjoying a concert, playing inside the house, and outside ... hence the mulch and sand inside my house. They left Thursday morning, with my boys, and dropped them off at Grandpa's on their way home.

Oh dear, look at the time. My 15 minutes were up, several minutes ago. There is ironing still to be done. Church stuff I can't seem to focus on and complete. Then there is the weeding, painting, tomato sauce to make, bread to make, .... I think I over planned. With 1 kid left in the house I created a to-do list to rival all to-do lists. Truth be told, you can only complete so much in 36 hours.

Well, I need to rush off and set up the ironing board. You sit, surf over to Home Sanctuary for more Company Girl Coffee. Oh, but before you leave, what have you completed with your 15 minutes?

6 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

Wow! I would totally overplan if I had 36 hours of kid free time--I might even choose not to sleep, or to sleep the whole time! I can't even imagine! So far, I haven't gotten anything done in 15 minutes...it has been one of those days. I sat down here to check the coffee talk and saw 21 posts--I guess I need to save the rest for later and start the timer! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Mine was a simple one...get a bridal shower gift. The inlaws are over today, so I nursed the little one, and then left and took the big one with me. I'm so bad at buying gifts, so I just decided to get the list and head to the kitchen area because the couple likes to cook. Glad you got some quiet time. I probably won't have even a few kid-free hours in the near future. =p oh well

L Harris said...

I did more than I expected in my 15 minutes today; I'm glad to have a timer. I do tend to get more done.

secondofwett said...

I'm the opposite....if I had 3 out of my 4 teens gone....well, I'd probably find something that just I wanted to do and it wouldn't be ironing! I think after 36 years of marriage and nine kids...well, let's say I've become an iron-on-demand person! Enjoy!

Rachel Anne said...

Oh, I hope you had a wonderful weekend! What a nice thing for your kids to do...and great for you, too. Can I borrow your Dad?? (kidding)

I spent my 15 minutes in the kitchen and did get more done than I thought possible. I also kept moving since I had company coming over...that's excellent incentive to do chores. Even better than a timer! :)

Unknown said...

Since I'm commenting on Sunday night...I can't even remember what I did for my 15 min. (I live with cronic I do remember I stretched my 15 min. into about 30-45 minutes but I remained in 15 min. mode. I was scurring around like crazy getting all kinds of things done. I'm carrying the 15 min. concept into this week!

Hope you have a great week!