Friday, October 24, 2008

A Side of Guilt with Motherhood Please

Let's face it, as soon as that pregnancy stick turns positive the guilt kicks into overdrive. We skipped a prenatal vitamin, or hadn't even started them. Oops, that one glass of wine from the other night or my I love my coffee (I felt less guilt about that one with each pregnancy.)

Speaking of coffee, grab a mug and settle in for Friday's Company Girl Coffee. One of the things I love about Rachel Anne over at Home Sanctuary are the internal small things she asks us to perform. On Wednesday she asked us "... to say 'no' to guilt."

How do we say no to guilt? Face the guilt, evaluate it and either throw it away or deal with it. The examples I gave in the beginning, the prenatal vitamins and the coffee, throw them away.

Rachel Anne hit my nail on the head with one of her examples, "Have you 'lost it' recently with a kid?" How did she know that was me an hour before? And the day before, and last week?

Yep, one of my mommy weaknesses is "losing it." And if that is not enough guilt during an eruption have your 4 -year-old tell you"Mommy, stop talking, you are making me upset."
Not my most Magnificent Mommy Moment. Now what?

This becomes one of those life lesson moments, worldly and spiritual. As soon as I can calm down I sit down with the kids and say I'm sorry and ask for forgiveness. Yelling is not an appropriate reaction. Yes, even parents can ask for forgiveness from their children, and I have. We also discuss behavior, the little munchkins don't get off that easy. I am responsible for my behavior, no yelling, but the kids are also responsible for their behavior, obey the first time.

And then there is the talk of forgiveness and grace. And how Christ died on the cross for our sins, forgiving us and showing us grace.

Have you struggled with guilt this week? You may not have lost your temper, but what have you dealt with. Maybe it is from an unfinished project, or the lack of home cooked meals during the week, that pile of laundry.

Speaking of unfinished projects, I have 6 different colored squares painted on my bedroom walls. Y'all are welcome to come over next Friday for coffee if you can help me pick a color. (Oh my goodness. Did I just type y'all? It is time for a coffee refill for this Yankee girl.)

Note: Sorry y'all (I did it again) if you were on earlier and noticed the misspellings. I forgot to hit spellcheck when I was done typing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have someone help me pick out colors for my house. Hey, now that's an idea for a Company Girl Coffee. Wouldn't it be fun to sit around the table with a cup of coffee and a bunch of paint chips and get ideas from people who see you and your home in a different light?

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Love the title of your blog!
If we didn't lose it once in awhile with our kids, we'd lose the title of MOM. I'm the queen of "losin' it." It's the losin' moments that keep me connected to God and in total reliance on Him for the advancement of said mom-career. Best job I ever had!
I'm new to the Coffee-Girl thingie. How I've missed it before now? don't know.
From my experience: never decorate with Blue. It gets old and boring quicker than the budget to change it.
Kindest Thoughts,
~esthermay

Rachel Anne said...

oooh, did you say "paint chips?" (rubbing hands together with glee) I love picking paint colors. Bring em on!

How did I know about losing it with a child??? Surely you jest!! Cough cough....I've had to ask forgiveness more times than I care to count!

Dimple Queen said...

I plan on joining in next week, but i had to comment here...I loved your post and had to laugh at the "mommy, stop talking" statement. My 6 yr old told me this afternoon that I kept hurting his feelings!

He's been in trouble all week at school and wasn't allowed to go to the football game tonight, so he pouted, cried and told me that his Daddy and I just keep hurting his feelings!

LOLOL

Rebecca said...

I'm with you on the Mommy guilt this week. Mine for a different reason but we all lose it once in awhile!

Hey I'm up for discussing paint chips too :) I love color!

Carol said...

Love your post this week! I think the guilt chip is activated once our uterus enlarges. Thursday, my youngest got off the bus and DH told her to get in the car. Why? We were both going to work-I had to go to job #2. She ran up to me, hugged me, and burst into tears. Guilt? You bet'cha.
Nevermind that I will be back home in just two hours or that I only do this twice a week, the guilt factor kicked in.

mholgate said...

Great post! Mommy guilt hits home with me too. For me, I sometimes feel guilty that I can't give my children more "things". Then I realize that it's not about how many "things" I can give them, but how much love I have for each of them.

A great book that I read was called "Motherhood: The Gift (with a line through gift) Guilt that keeps on giving." It's by a christian author. She talks about how to navigate the mountain of guilt that goes along with motherhood.

Blessings!
Melissa