Thursday, August 21, 2008

Field Trip

I've posted before about participating in the Virginia TimeTravelers program. Today we headed to the P. Buckley Moss Museum. The museum was a nice break to our summer day. The museum is located 40 minutes from us, right off the highway, and I didn't mind burning the gas since admission is free.

The museum displays the art of P. Buckley Moss (in case you were wondering.) Though the museum is not designed for kids it does have two favorable attractions for children. The first that Moss' art certainly captures the imagination and my kids loved looking at the different landscapes and people in the paintings. Second, on the bottom floor they display a large doll house where 20+ mice are hidden, and for the kids to find. We counted up to 25, but were told there were more.

We enjoyed a picnic lunch on the grounds, where the squirrels are a little to use to people as one came very close to us. No, I'm not afraid squirrels, but afraid of what my children might do if a squirrel was close enough to touch.

And then we headed to Target. Obviously I did not learn my lesson from yesterday but I am still on the search for cheap swim goggles and there was a Target behind the museum. This time my trip to insanity was rewarded.

And, when I say "behind the museum" I mean RIGHT behind the museum (which is kind of a shock when you look at the museum's picture on their website and it appears to be in the middle of no where.) Actually, as we drove to the shopping center's parking lot I saw a path from the Museum property to the shopping center. Now that would have been fun; schlepping the kids across the museum property, across the parking lot, through Target, back across the parking lot and then up the museum property.

No comments: