Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sorry, What Were You Talking About?

Communion at our church is not a regular occurrence, and therefore it is a little stressful.

Stressful, because of the absence of a regular routine it usually throws our children into left field.  Young children are not going to remember, from 6 months ago, that their parents (and all the other adults sitting around them) will file up to the front of the church to partake in Communion, leaving all the children behind, unattended, without adult supervision.

See where I am going with this?

Heavens to betsy, one Sunday, several years ago, I looked at all the children (boys) sitting in our section (because we sit in the family section, it is harder to pin any noise on our family).  I was certain, when we returned, we would find several swinging from the lights, performing acrobats on the chairs, and the remaining boys putting each other in headlocks. 

Recently, the children have been invited to sit up front during Communion.  Up front, as on the stage, facing everyone in the congregation.

I guess I can't call it a stage, being that we are Mennonite, that seems too ostentatious.  The platform?  The platform, which is the size of a small stage. 

Anywho, with the children gathered on the stage like platform, our pastor will talk to them about Communion, which is think is a great Christian education moment, and then they will pass out grapes.

However, as the mother of two boys (i.e. they on each other), one of which has ADHD, I find myself holding my breath throughout the whole Communion service. 

Did I mention our congregation is between 350 to 400 attenders on any given Sunday?  That is a lot of people to move and serve.   

One Sunday, during Communion, the kids were upfront, the adults were waiting for the sacraments (do we call them that in the Mennonite church?), the pianist is playing, and there is whistling. 

Oh My Sweet Loving .... JT is whistling with the music.  Thankfully, he was whistling "with" the music, and somewhat on key, or as "on key" as one can be when you whistle. 

Fast forward a couple days, and we are back at church on Wednesday night.

A friend came up and said how GL appreciated watching JT, during the Communion service Sunday.  He presented such a reverend attitude while the pastor was talking to them, and then during the prayer. 

Ahhhhhhhhhh

Have no doubt, I probably blurted something out about him whistling during the service.  Apparently, I can't take a compliment, even when it is about my children.  The friend didn't remember hearing any whistling.   

Which goes to show, though you may be fixated on a negative behavior by your child, others may only see the positive.  I thank them for bringing those positives to my attention, because I need them. 

No comments: