Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Book Review: For Women Only

For Women Only: What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men, by Shaunti Feldhahn, is a must read for any wife, wife-to-be, girlfriend, or girlfriend-to-be.  Basically, every female should read this book.

Why, you ask?  Well, let me back up, and tell you of when I first read this book, and why I jumped at the chance to review it. 

My first reading of this book was several years ago, when it was first published.  My mother had lent me her copy.  With, at the time, 9 years of marriage and 3 children under by belt, along with a college degree in social studies and a minor in sociology, I thought I had a basic understanding of my husband.  After reading this book I realized calling it "basic" was an understatement.  I had barely scratched the surface to my man. 

After reading it I gained a whole new perspective, and appreciation for who my husband is, as a man.  I was also charged with useful information in helping us raise our two sons.  The conversations Hubby and I had, thanks to this book, also opened his eyes to how women think.

From the beginning of the book Feldhahn outlines the origination of this book, the surveys (professional and informal) completed to compile the data used for this book, and informs the reader that this book is not about male bashing.  The information given in this book is based on evidence, compiled through two professional surveys, where 400 anonymous men, for each survey, were asked 2 dozen questions.  A more informal survey, of another 400 men, was conducted, between the 2 formal surveys.  All that to say, yes this book does know what it is talking about.  And, Feldhahn delivers the information on a personal level, as if you were talking to a girlfriend. 

Since this book was first published in 2004 it has grown into the 'Only' Series. This includes, For Men Only, For Young Women Only, For Young Men Only, For Parent's Only (BTW, my next read).   Discussion guides, Bible studies, a website and message boards have also joined this growing series.   Now, I haven't read any of the other books; however, if its predecessor is any indication, they are all worth a read by those who fall into the book's respective categories.

Interested, but not fully committed yet to read this book, then click over to Multnomah's website, where you can download, for free, the first chapter of this book.   I would guarantee that after reading the first chapter you will be drawn in, and want to read the rest. 

***In compliance with Federal Trade Commission regulations: WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group gave me a free copy of For Women Only for this review. 

No comments: