Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Relief

Christmas is over, meaning the madness has ended. 

This week we are enjoying a week of nothing.  Everyone is off.  We have no where to travel.  Today we drove to the big city to go shopping.  The kids received several gift cards for Christmas, and they needed to be spent. 

Lessons in economics were learned today.

However, this is not why I am relieved Christmas is over.  Oh, do not get me wrong, I love Christmas.  I love the decorations. Looking for our live tree, at the local tree farm.  I love the presents, shopping for, and receiving them.  I love sending out, and receiving, Christmas cards.  I love the time we spend with family and friends.  And, I love the Christmas story. 

We focus on the true meaning of Christmas, as much as possible.  We celebrate Advent, and remind the kids what Christmas is all about.

However, that is also my problem.  Our children are at that age, yes that age, when questions begin to be asked, about you know what. 

"WOO, how do you go from Christmas to the birds and the bees?" you ask. 

Have you heard the Christmas story?  Every where we go, I hear it, and cringe; finally relaxing (and breathing) when I realize the moment has passed, without questions. 

With words and phrases used, such as "virgin", "no union with a man", "have not been with a man", "pregnant", and many more, considering what translation you read, I've been holding my breath for the entire month of December. 

Then again, if anything is going to start "the talk", then a walk through the live nativity at a local church seems to be an appropriate start. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.