Saturday, November 6, 2010

Life with ADHD

While at this year's well-visit for one of our children, the Doc asked if we had had any follow up visits with the diagnosing Doc of our son's ADHD (um, no), and how the whole behavior modification was working?

My answer? I have absolutely no idea what it is I said. I mumbled something, while suddenly focused on whatever my son was doing.

I am fairly certain there is something written in my son's file about my mumbling. Probably something about us not doing anything. I don't blame him.

Though we are "doing something." The problem is, how do you describe it? Because we aren't doing anything different. Maybe this, or that, has been tweaked, but we have not rearranged our whole household structure for one child.

And there is the answer. Any "tips" given for dealing with an ADHD child, are the same tips any, and all, good parenting books will recommend. Granted, a book on ADHD will provide a little bit more understanding on the specific issue you are dealing with, by helping you to place your child's behavior into context, and remind you not to pull out your hair.

It is one of the few things I remember from my education classes, when in college. Classroom techniques recommended for students with challenges, actually benefit all children, regardless their learning level.

Sure, some of the books will outline a complicated point/peg/reward process, which we don't do since I'm not good at following those.

And then there is the whole question of "how is it working?" When you are in the middle of parenting, especially on a bad day, it is not working too great. This is when I rely on friends, those who tell us that he is improving. And, on his teachers. And, everyone around us, who has a slightly more objective view, then us, the parents, who are on the front line.

So, now I know what I will say when asked "how is the behavior modification working?" It is a daily battle. We have seen improvement in his behavior, and though it is not consistent, we are working with him to learn self-control. He gets good grades in school, and though he is not the most organized child, once again, we are working with him to be responsible for his school work and belongings.

Now, why couldn't I think of that in the Doc's office? And, will I remember this at the next appointment?

No comments: