Thursday, July 2, 2009

Everything Austen


If you have been reading my blog for a while you know I've been on a Jane Austen kick, ahh ... for about a year now. I'm thinking it as making up for lost time. Until last summer I had never read an Austen book, though I had seen the Hollywood version of Emma and Sense and Sensibility. This past year my reading lists have been filled with Jane Austen's six books, Jane Austen themed books, and enjoying movie adaptations of Jane Austen's books.

Guess what? I'm not done yet.

So, when I heard of a Everything Austen challenge, hosted by Stephanie at The Written Word, I knew I was on board. Why do I love this challenge? Well, let's see. We are challenged to read books written by or themed from Jane Austen. We have 6 months to read or watch 6 titles (Now that I can do, I'm a slow reader.) Watch? That is correct, we can also watch a movie. Not much arm twisting needed, I've always been a sucker for period movies.

So here is my list (the first three books are already sitting by my bedside table):

Me and Mr. Darcy - Alexandra Potter

The Diary of Captain Wentworth - Amanda Grange

The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler

Rude Awakening of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler. (I read Rigler's first book in this series, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. The book left you with many questions, mainly how did Jane Mansfield adjust to her new 21st century surroundings. Thank you Laurie for not disappointing your readers by completing the story for us.)

So that is 4 books. Now for some movies. What shall I watch? Actually I'm not sure. After reading The Jane Austen Book Club I'll look for the movie. I heard Lost in Austen is good. Any one seen Bride and Prejudice? It is a Ballywood version of Pride and Prejudice.

Have no fear, I will be watching at least 2 Jane Austen themed movies. And if all else fails there is always Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice.

Happy reading.

2 comments:

becky s said...

I enjoyed lost in austen. It's been probably 20 years since I read P&P, so one of these days I'll have to read again.

I read Emma for school, but wasn't a big fan. I just don't like that character.

Stephanie said...

So glad you are joining my challenge!! I love the title of your blog by the way!