Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tiny Talk Tuesday


Having pulled out many of my favorite childhood books JT was looking through them and announced:

Look, books from the 19th Century.
Thanks kid.
---------------------------------
Saturday night we enjoyed waffles for dinner. Wanting to make them a little healthier then normal (they were for dinner after all) I made an awesome (and totally delicious) recipe from Simply In Season (this link takes you to a blog by one of the cookbook's authors.) The recipe calls for whole wheat flour, rolled oats, oat bran, shredded apples, and the other normal ingredients such as baking powder and cinnamon. The kids surprised me by gobbling them down, I was sure they would complain about the lack of sugar and refined white flour. Well, that was until Sunday morning.

JT: Mom, those waffles were not as good as the ones you normally make. I didn't like them

Me: Well, they were from a different recipe

JT: Oh

Me: You didn't seem to mind them last night, you ate a whole lot.

JT: I wanted to get rid of them.
And again, thanks kid

-------------------------------------------
Sunday night we headed to Hubby's parents to watch the football game. Half way through EM comes into the family room saying:

EM: Grandma I have to tell you something

Grandma got up and followed EM out of the room. She soon returned, with EM in tow and jelly beans in her hand.

Mom: EM, what do you have in your hand?

EM: It was Grandma

Apparently what she had to tell Grandma was that she wanted some jellybeans. Upon being caught by Mom with said jelly beans she immediately placed the blame on Grandma.

Yeah, I so don't want this kid with me when the ship goes down.

Head over to Not Before 7 for some more Tiny Talk.
------------------------------------------------
If you are interested in the Apple Spice Waffles recipe here it is. Again, this recipe comes from Simply in Season (this link takes you to it's Amazon page.) A great recipe book, highly recommended, especially if you belong to a CSA, have a garden, and/or frequent the farmer's market.





Apple Spice Waffles

2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Combine in a large bowl.

1 cup apple (diced or shredded)
1/2 cup nuts (chopped; optional)
Add and toss to coat

3 cups milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1 Tbs honey
Combine separately and beat well. Add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring until well combined. Bake in hot waffle iron. Serve with syrup, yogurt, apple butter or applesauce.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

LOL the waffle story had me cracking up. So will you be making those waffles again? They sound delicious to me :-)

Just like a Grandma to spoil them.

E. Tyler Rowan said...

That's great! I hear the "it was Grandma" excuse an awful lot around my house, too.

Unknown said...

Very cute! I love it when my kids will ask if I want a cookie/candy/treat. Of course when I don't they volunteer to eat it themselves. :)

AnnG said...

Great job getting grandma to take the blame for that candy! Kids will come up with the greatest things, huh?

Jolanthe said...

I don't know about the waffle recipe...if you have to eat them to get rid of them...what good is that? :) hee hee

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh - they look delicious! Love that he had to eat them to get rid of them....LOL!