Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Home Decorating 101 ... aka Marriage Counseling 101

Please raise your hand if you hate picking paint colors? Actually, I like looking at paint colors and picking out those little swatches at the store, bringing them home and filing them away.

We moved in our house 4 years ago. The house was a new build (a spec house so we had next to no input on anything), I was 4 months pregnant with our third and our other two children were 3 years and 18 months-old. I wasn't thrilled with the existing paint, builders beige is what I call it, but I also knew that in my present state of mind and with having moved (aka bleeding money) picking new paint colors was not part of the agenda.

No worries. With 3 small children the house would need repainted within 5 years anyway.

Which brings us to present day and why I have 6 color samples painted on my bedroom wall.




So far the colors sin contention are Greenmount Silk, Windham Cream and Morning Dew (the last two are painted on the opposite walls.) I really liked the Philadelphia Cream, until about dusk when it took on a pukey hue.

***I was really hoping to paste samples on the blog from Benjamin Moore's website, but understandable I couldn't do that. I was also hoping that when you click on each color it would take you directly to that sample on their website. Well, it takes you to their website, but you need to "search for a color" in order to see them.

At least I have colors on the wall.

And regarding the lack of character in our room. Yes, we are starting from scratch, slowly building an oasis and starting with the paint.

The duvet cover is staying. It has red stripes with thin green/khaki stripes. As we put the room together I'm looking for a dark wood bed frame and red accents in the form of an overstuffed chair, shams and curtains (?????)

We need a neutral color on the wall. At first I was looking for a light green/khaki color to pick up the stripes from the cover, or maybe a light yellow. Hubby was going a totally different direction and picked Morning Dew. (We have very different opinions when it comes to paint colors and so it takes great effort to include him. But, why shouldn't I, it is his room too.) Morning Dew is very grey ... a light grey, but none-the-less grey.

Looking at it and thinking what kind of wood furniture we would have, along with the red color, I began to fall for the grey color. That is until he announced that he liked it because he saw red in this grey color. RED?

Yes, Hubby is color blind.

My deadline to paint the house was by year 5, thank goodness I'm starting now since I can't decide on a single color for our bedroom. Yes, I was falling for the Morning Dew, until Hubby said he thought it was reddish, and now ...? Surely there is a home decorating show that can help me; Oprah, Ty, HGTV, anyone?

HELP!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes it is difficult finding a color that you really love. As a Feng Shui Consultant, I use my intuition a lot to help direct me with my clients. I personally feel that the best color for you is not represented with the samples you have selected so far. What about a silver sage like what you see at Restoration Hardware?

You may also want to check out "Feng Shui Colors For A Bedroom" at http://www.kenlauher.com/feng-shui-tips/bid/7090/Feng-Shui-Colors-For-A-Bedroom

Erin said...

Haven't checked the color yet, but loving the name.

Unfortuantly I live in middle-of no-where and if I said "restoration hardware" someone would send me to the hardware co-op downtown.

Thanks for the suggestions.