Friday, November 14, 2008

Company Girl Coffee

Ladies, come on in and have a sit. Don't forget your favorite cup of beverage, and make your self comfy. Welcome to another Friday of Company Girl Coffee.

Another crazy week has gone by in our house. I laugh at the busyness of our lives, with two in elementary school and one in preschool life doesn't seem to stop. When I had toddlers and infants under my feet people warned me it only gets busier as they grow I laughed then because how could I be any busier; changing diapers, nursing, washing bottles, sippy cups and cute tushies (not at the same time), and picking up toys and chasing munchkins down for nap time.

Oh for those lazy days where I could stay home. These days I'm driving around town, several times over each day.

But in all the craziness child rearing continues. One of our child rearing tools is giving our children certain verses to learn, usually related to behavioral issues. (Because it will take divine intervention for some of our kids to shape-up.) This past Sunday they talked about the Fruits of the Spirit in Sunday School, and I jumped at the chance to revive our Bible verse memorization. JT received a verse about self-control (Proverbs 25:28), ED a verse on being a peacemaker (Proverbs 20:3), and EM patience (Romans 8:25). And a big thank you to Lisa Whelchel's book Corrective Correction. She lists many of these verses in her book, otherwise I would still be researching.

We began memorizing verses two summers ago, when the boys kept picking on each other and Luke 6:31 seemed appropriate, "Do for other people what you want them to do for you." Then came the verses for nice talk, dealing with one's temper, self-control, and my favorite obeying your parents.

Then, on Monday Rachel Anne reminded me what we have forgotten to teach our children, the immensity of God's love and grace. Well, not that we have forgotten to teach them, but in dolling out verses to memorize we forgot some pretty important ones.

Each month Rachel Anne posts a verse for us to remember, beautifully posted on a picture. This month's verse is Zephaniah 3:17:

The Lord your God is with you, he is might to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.



Wow! He takes delight in us, his love covers us like a blanket, he rejoices in us, US!

Our morning prayer to school now includes not only the verses the kids are learning but also a praise, for taking delight in us. Now let me clarify, that prayer to school (if I remember) happens between me screeching at the kids to "get in the car, buckle up, I can't believe you have all been out here and still not in your seats, what do you mean you forgot your shoes, where is your book bag, you are going to school, yes, you have to wear a coat, .... " You get the picture. This morning the bus was early and it was a quick kiss on top of the head and "may the Lord bless you and keep you today."

Thank you Lord for finding delight in us and quieting us with your love.

11 comments:

Rachel Anne said...

Awesome post! We still need those verses every now and then...esp. the "do unto others" one :)

I'm still loving Zeph. 3:17 this month and I'm looking for God to be mighty in my life!! Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

God loves a heart that is open to Him. Sounds like you are there.

Carol said...

Isn't the enormity of God's love awe-inspiring? It is great that you are starting to teach your children about the joy of having a relationship with God.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

OH! I can visualize the prayer enroute to anywhere.... Not the best time to put on one's spiritual shoes.
BUT... I doubt the scene will be remembered in 20 years. The Bible Verse Memorization WILL!
~esthermay

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful reminder! I too am in love with this verse. God is mighty to save! He takes great delight in ME! And each child can claim that as their own. God takes delight in each of them. Even when, or even if...His love in unconditional! Thanks - I enjoyed the company.

samantha said...

Wow. What a great post. The verse that Rachel anne posted for this month is very comforting. I am still amazed that God would take delight in us. It is a good idea for kids to memorize verses, especially ones that deal with character. I think I will do that with my kids. It is true that our lives will never slow down.

A. T. said...

Awesome post! I love the idea of the verses.

Never catching up is right! Thanks for stopping by yesterday!

Forgetfulone said...

My kids are older, but our morning routine is similar! I really enjoyed Rachel Anne's verse for this month. Have a great week, company girl!

mholgate said...

What a great post! I'm working with my kids on Bible memory verses too. Not often enough, I'm afraid. I've tried to find creative ways to bring it into our day though.

I thought it was great that Zeph. 3:17 is our verse this month because even before she posted it, I put it on my blog as one of my favorites. God is so good that way, to remind us over and over again of His love for us! : )

Blessings!
Melissa

Ridenour Family said...

I will have to check out the Corrective Correction book that you have mentioned. Thanks for sharing it. Wonderful post by the way!

D said...

Great post! I need to start doing that too - Kiddo really responds to memorizing things, especially if they are "rules".