Thursday, August 28, 2008

Support

Last Saturday's newspaper printed an article from the Associated Press titled "Nebraska 'Safe-Haven' Law allows abandonment of teens". A safe-haven allows a parent of a newborn to leave that child at a hospital or police station with no questions asked. Nebraska's law is written in a way that includes any minor.

At first I laughed. Yes, there have been days when I would drive to Nebraska to drop off my kids, but just for a couple hours. Long enough to stroll the store, with a cup of coffee, in peace.

But what stops me from driving to Nebraska, other then the facts that I live in Virginia and the price of gas is still in the mid-$3?

I have a support system. A supportive husband who is an active dad, involved grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and a church family. All are available and willing to hear me vent, take over when I'm sick, and, in general, help in any and every imaginable and unimaginable way.

So who may need to abandon a 3 year old, an 11 year old, a 17 year old? Someone without a support system, plain and simple. A single parent, a couple, who just lost their job, no health insurance, deciding do I pay for child care so I can go to work or do I pay for gas for my car so I can go to work.

Parenting is rough stuff, and not for the light hearted. If your circumstances are less then stealer, then it makes the every day things; like providing food, a dry roof, and clean clothes for your child more difficult. Add in the everyday trials of being a parent; discipline, school work, keeping up with friends and activities, ....

Really I'm not doing this topic justice. The gist of it is Nebraska has realized that there are parents out there who need a break. Is their law the answer? Probably not, but at least they realize the problem exists.

So, here is your task. Go be a friend to a frazzled parent. Be a listening ear. Set up a play date so they can take a nap, or go to the store, or just sit somewhere quiet. The possibilities are endless, we just need to open our hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this article myself, and like you, gave some thought to driving there myself!

Having moved to the Valley just 4 years ago, I AM one of those moms with no family support (they're all scattered around the country - the closest family being 6 hours away), a husband who just changed jobs (better? we'll see), 3 active boys - which includes a soon-to-be-driving 16 year old and limited friendships.

I've found that the older you get (I'm 41), the harder it is to form friendships. By this stage in life, women have their core group of friends and although you can visit once in a while, it's rare, and apparant, that you are not part of that group.

There's no faulting people here, just plain facts as we get older yet still have younger children.

So you are right my friend, find those people/families that need companionship and be that companion. You have opened your heart to me and I appreciate your friendship. You are a woman of God and I envy your always sunny disposition. Remember, you are my model of "The Power of a Positive Woman"!!