Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Just Ask


For Christmas JT received a SmartLab RoboBot. It comes in many pieces, assembly is required.

All was well until a certain kid brother got hold of it, threw it, and an axle broke.

Knowing that it had been assembled by my son's own two hands I figured
  1. It could be taken apart.
  2. If it could be taken apart the broken pieces could be replaced.
  3. I love the internet because you can find just about anything, even plastic bug parts.

After a quick search (I may have won a Swagbuck or two during the search; thank you Kristen for this awesome suggestion) I found it. SmartLabs is truly smart, there, on their website, in the Customer Service section, they provide an email form to fill out if you are missing or broken parts. Not only was the form easy to find, by the end of the day they replied stating the needed pieces were in the mail, and by the end of the week a whole bag of replacement parts (more then needed) arrived.

SmartLabs will be receiving more of my money in the future.

At Christmas my niece received a Fisher Price airplane, but the pilot was missing (fly at your own risk.) My sister-in-law called Fisher Price to ask for a new pilot, and received a whole new plane, pilot and other accessories included.

When Hubby and I married, we followed the same path as many other married couples; wedding, honeymoon, unwrap presents, and return half of them. There was one set of CorningWare baking dishes we could not return, as one store said "they were last season's design."

I took a chance and wrote to CorningWare, explaining my situation and adding something about how wonderful their products are and would like a baking set we could enjoy for years to come, blah, blah, blah.

Believe it or not, within a few weeks they replied (via snail mail, this was before email and web pages were mainstream) instructing me to send them the dishes, they would send me a certificate for a specific amount and a catalog I could order from.

And, another company made a life time customer of me.

All these stories have one thing in common; there was a problem, so we asked the companies, and the companies (recognizing what good customer service is) were able to fix the problems. This simple act worked for us, I hope it works for you too.

For more Works for Me Wednesday tips head over to Kristen's at We are THAT Family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. It really never hurts to ask but most of the time I don't take the time. Thanks for the reminder.

Jelli said...

I once wrote Edy's ice cream, complaining about the lack of pie bits in an apple pie ice cream pint. They sent me coupons for a free one, in addition to other coupons. Asking really does help!