Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Reading is Fun

Who knew the library could provide several hours of entertainment for my active children. We went today, the first time for many months, and spent about an hour and left with way too many books. What did my kids do for an hour at the library? The boys played on the computers and my daughter conducted a "class" with all the stuffed animals. What did I do? I picked out many of the books we brought home. I can't help it, I mean to limit myself to about 10 books and before I know it my arms are full, and my bag is stuffed.

From the time we leave the library my children have their hands on at least one book, and while in the car looking through them and passing them around. Once home the children were into the books, the only activities interrupting them were baths and dinner. In fact, when the babysitter arrived at 6:30 they made the poor girl read a good 5 to 8 books before she put them to bed. My kids love books, they always have, but the only time they are so enthralled in books is after a trip to the library or the Green Valley Book Fair. Looking ahead to the summer I'm wondering if the magic of books would continue to work if we made daily trips to the library.

The great news is that all those read books go on their summer reading list. Every summer our local library hosts a reading program where we read so many books, record the titles and return the list for a prize, or two. So, if you live in the area head to your local Massanutten Regional Library and sign up; and don't forget your goody bag, it has a coupon to the Massanutten Water Park.

No comments: