Friday, November 7, 2008

Just Throw It All In The Closet!


It has been a busy day in our house but I had to take a moment, enjoy my coffee, and visiting with some virtual friends.

Hubby and I are heading out of town tonight, just overnight, but still one night without kids. Our Sunday School enjoys an (almost) 24 hour retreat, no kids, games, chatter, and lots of food.

My mom is coming down to watch the kids, yeah Mom! The kids are excited and I am busy cleaning the house and organizing for our retreat. I guess my day wouldn't have been so crazy if I had started the cleaning process earlier in the week. But, for whatever reason, I didn't shift it into cleaning/organizing gear until yesterday.

And all this cleaning makes me laugh; am I cleaning because of my Mom or because I've lately been lax on my cleaning and am now trying to catch up?

One of my childhood memories is seeing my Mom up on a step stool cleaning the top of the refrigerator:
Me: Mom, why are you cleaning the top of the fridge?
Mom: Because your Grandmother is coming to stay with you while we are gone.
Me: Mom, Grandma does not care about the top of the fridge.
Mom: Yes she does, and if I don't do it she will.

Yes, my Grandma was a bit of a cleaning freak. The type that cleans the house before, and after, the cleaning lady comes. Thankfully, my Mom is not like that. In fact, I'm probably more like my Grandmother ... and we can psychoanalyze that in another posting.

So what gets you cleaning? Are you a consistent cleaner, a little something each day? Or a "guests are coming clean everything, clean NOW" type of cleaner?

I used to be the later, but since becoming a SAHM I'm more of a consistent cleaner, at least I try and regularly visit Rachel Anne at Home Sanctuary for some added motivation.

And if you haven't visited yet, head over to Home Sanctuary. Rachel Anne lists some give-aways found at other blogs.

****You've heard me whine about my paint dilemma in my bedroom, now you can check out how bad it really is. Head over to my posting, here. I would really appreciate your help.

4 comments:

samantha said...

Hi. I am also a SAHM, so I clean consistently. I have a daily chore routine everyday. Rachel Ann's website REALLY motivates me. She has such an amazing gift.

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to a good friend of mine about that this week. I was telling them that I like a clean house but it is not NEARLY as clean as it will be when my mom and/or sister come to visit. They are huge neat freaks so...I have to have a clean house or I am afraid of what my mom might do (while I am not looking).

Rachel Anne said...

This is my second attempt at a comment...if my first one shows up then just ignore this one :(

Guests are a HUGE motivation for me to clean! Also, my husband is much more of a neat freak than I am so I try and stay motivated to clean for his sake. Not always easy.

My mom doesn't care what my house looks like, but my mother in law IS Martha Stewart so I always clean before she comes over.

With a houseful of guests coming for Thanksgiving, I'm hoping to start early so I'm not cleaning as they drive up!

Rebecca said...

Oh could I ever relate to this post. I too am guilty of cleaning for my mom to visit LOL. She DOES notice everyting!