Friday, October 17, 2008

Company Girl Coffee

Come on in. Grab you favorite beverage and spend some time cruising the blogosphere. And, thank you for stopping here.

Settled? Good. How has your week been?

We are slowly realizing that crazy is the new norm for us, running all day and most evenings. Tuesday was especially fun since we had several activities that evening, requiring exact timing from Hubby and myself to hand off kids, pick up kids, pick up neighbor kids, ... Ahhh more kids!

Fortunately, one of the activities was Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A. Now that is the way to end one's day, a cookies & cream milkshake. Hey, it only takes two turns on the Arc Trainer to burn off.

Thank goodness for Rachel Anne over at Home Sanctuary, her Small Things keeps me on task, and motivates me to complete those unfinished projects. This week she encouraged us to dust off pull out or sewing kit and mend/adjust/add something using a needle and thread. Perfect! Hanging at the bottom of our stair rail was three Lowe's Build and Grow aprons and one AWANA vest, all waiting for new patches.

Yes, I am aware that these patches are iron-on, but I prefer to sew them on. There are several reasons for this, the first being so they will stay on. It may iron-on, but there is no guarantee that it will stay on. Yes, the sewing is a pain, literally because I keep poking my fingers. But, I know they will stay on, and if they fall off there is no guarantee I will ever get around to putting them on again.

Second, I pray for my children as I sew-on their patches. Yes, I do pray for them all day, every day, and at night. However, I think it is a great practice to spend some concentrated time praying for each specific child, and these little tasks sets aside that time.

Thirdly, by praying these mundane tasks become not so mundane, but a blessing to my family.

I do the same thing while working on projects or gifts for their classes, saying a prayer for each child while I'm working.

It also becomes a great memory exercise, and now with 3 kids in school that is 50+ kid's names to remember. Please pass the gingko biloba.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I keep saying......You are so awesome!

- hubby

Anonymous said...

What a great way to turn a chore into a blessing - for your family and for you. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWW! That was so sweet! (To your hubby!)
Jana

Rachel Anne said...

Erin,

I just love this thought, what a great blessing to see sewing on patches as a way to pray over your kids. I wonder if you are in a long line of mothers through the ages who have darned socks and sewn things and prayed over their children also. What a wonderous feeling.

Your anonymous hubby is awfully sweet to leave you a comment... :)

Thanks for the coffee...I loved stopping over!!

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful way to turn something tedious into something enjoyable!

Grammy said...

That is great.
I need to learn to finish unfinished projects.